Saturday, April 4, 2009

My Life. In Pictures. Day 5

Sorry this is late...
we had major Internet problems yesterday
so here is
Yesterday's Challenge:
Something old

I decided to do Old Books


The books above are new to our collection. My husband found them and purchased them at a thrift store. I love old books. Old books are one of my favorite things.

Prose and Poetry has a copyright date of 1927.
More Favorite Stories Old and New for Boys and Girls has copyright dates of1948 and 1960.

The pictures above and below are from Prose and Poetry. There are only a few pictures in the book. The photo above is of the only color drawings in the book. There are a few other black and white sketches. But, more importantly there are wonderful stories in this old gem that someone was getting rid of. Now it is a part of our collection and my daughter Jessica will love it particularly. She is the one who likes Prose and Poetry the best of all my kids and often puts poems on her writing blog... see my sidebar for her writing site.



The books below are a few, of the treasures of old books that we have,
and they are some of my favorite books.George Washington by Ingri and Edgar Parin D'Aulaire... a first edition I think...
copyright 1936. A real treasure.

The Golden Book of the American Revolution
third printing, 1962
full of great stories of History and great illustrations.

A Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
copyright 1889, 1899, and 1917.
A great old book that was made into a number of versions as a movie also.

Abe Lincoln: Log Cabin to White House
A Landmark Book
Landmarks are a favorite of ours in book series for History
I especially like getting the old hardback copies like this one is
this copy is a first printing
copyright 1956
a definite treasure to passed from generation to generation

Animal Homes
by George F. Mason
9th printing
copyright 1961
We have a number of his books on animals.
We have a less old books for science than for History.
Science changes a lot more than History does and for some things in science you need newer resources. Some old books are just good though, even if the "science" in them is out of date.


Well that is the last post for My Life. In Pictures.
for now
she says she may do another one of these in June
since we all enjoyed doing it so much.

I look forward to that.

For now you can check out the other posts in the Mr. Linky at her site
http://everythingexceptthegrill.blogspot.com

We are on our way to BB's in Quarryville to get some goodies and some other food. LOL
So, I will hopefully have time to post our Homeschool Weekly post later today.

Have a good weekend,
Debbie

3 comments:

Shari Lyle-Soffe said...

As an author I enjoyed seeing your life in books. Great books too.

You might enjoy my Homeschool interview with Lisa Bently featured today on my blog.

Shari
http://sharilyle-soffe.com

Amber D. said...

Debbie,

I'm just getting to my comments from day 5. Great shots of those books, I love the way you got in close on those spines.

I had such a fun time this week. It was so interesting to see everyone's life in a few pictures!

I do hope you will join in in June.

I am going to add you to my google reader! Take care!

Petula said...

I remembered a day late and I wish I had known you were posting late 'cause I would have joined you. Oh fudge!

This was a good idea. I have a few old Bibles that were my grandmother's and even from her mother I think.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails