But, this is a review of books. I joined the 52 Books in 52 Weeks challenge and decided that since I had never read Jane Austen's original books I would add them to my reading list for this year. I started with Pride and Prejudice. I found it hard to read the book I am sorry to say. The BBC movie from 1996 with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle does such a good job of covering the material in the book that it leaves almost nothing out. It is a 5 hour and 23 minute series Some of the diolouge comes right from the book. Some books are way better then the movies... in this case I like the movie better than the book. Maybe because I saw it so often before I read the book.
Anyway, the story is about a family of girls, the Bennets. The mother is trying to get them married off. The 2 youngest daughters are very silly.. like their mother, the middle daughter is plain and studious. A new gentleman, Mr. Bingly, moves into the neighborhood and brings with him a friend, Mr. Darcy. Will this gentlemen or or his friend end up marrying one of the girls??? The oldest girl, Jane, and Mr. Bingly hit it off at the ball. Mr. Darcy insults Elizabeth, the second oldest, at a ball. Things come about to separate Bingly and Jane. Elizabeth declares she will never be prevailed upon to dance with Mr. Darcy, let alone marry her. Then Mr. Wickham arrives. How will he add to the story? The estate of the Bennets is to go to a nephew, Mr. Collins. There are many other friends and family members that add to the merriment. There are balls, trips through the country, trips to London and lots of conversation.
I very much enjoyed the reviews on this page of Amazon and so if you want to know more I suggest you check them out.
- Pride And Prejudice
- Pride and Prejudice (Free Kindle edition)
- Pride and Prejudice (unabridged paperback)
- Pride and Prejudice: An Annotated Edition (Hardcover)
- The Complete Novels of Jane Austen (Paperback)
- Works of Jane Austen. Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Persuasion, Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey, Love and Freindship, Lady Susan (Complete Kindle edition)
I added my books to my Reading Pages... see the tabs at the top of the page or click these links:
- Reading 2010 - 52 Books in 52 Weeks page This book is #6 of 52 on my list.
- Reading 2010 - 100+ Books Challenge page. Some other books have been added to the 100 books in a year list that don't count here because they are juvenile. For the 100+ book challenge I am up to 10/100. Also I borrowed this book from the library so I can count it for my Library Challenge also.
all content on my blog is ©
Note: book links are affiliate links... if you click on the link and make a purchase I get a small portion of the sale. I use this credit to buy homeschool books for us.