Friday, November 30, 2012

Reading Challenge ~ November notes


Reading Challenge 2012

My goal for reading this year was to read 52 books or more in 2012. That is one book a week. I wish I was doing better. I was so far ahead a few months ago. I did so poorly in October (I didn't finish any books) and in November (I only finished 2 books) that now I am just barely going to meet my yearly goal. I do have a few books I should finish soon: one that I am reading with the whole family and one that I am reading with my hubby. I am currently reading 10 books and if you are interested to know what they are, check out my Goodreads profile. If you are on there send me a friend request.

 I love reading!
You can explore so much of our past and present and gain so much knowledge and encouragement! Also, reading is and can be Fun!

Read A Book Today!

Each month for the Reading Challenge we are supposed to do an update and link up. This month I read....

Lion of Babylon by Davis Bunn
378 pgs

Started reading - Aug. 29, 2012
Finished reading - Nov. 05, 2012

A very good book. The first in a series about Marc Royce. The second book, Rare Earth I was given for free, read first and reviewed for Davis Bunn. You can read my review, if you missed it or forget, by clicking the link in the previous sentence. You can read them out of order, but I do think reading them in order would be better. Knowing the character and what happened to him in this book before reading the second. The second book was so good though, that I had to go back and read the first in the series and I hope Davis Bunn writes some more about this character. 

Lion of Babylon was way more complicated, at least to me, than Rare Earth was. It took me a lot longer to get into the book. Not that it wasn't good, it was very good, there were just more characters to keep track of and there was a much more complicated plot. The subject matter of conflict in the Middle East was very timely. Suspense, Action, Godly Characters, Good vs. Evil... this book has all that and it is great. I highly recommend Davis Bunn. My 15 yr. old son is reading them now.


The Resolution for Women by Priscilla Shirer
288 pgs.

Started reading - Sept. 24, 2012
Finished reading - Nov. 21, 2012


This book was read little by little as part of my devotions. It was written in partnership with Sherwood Pictures' upcoming film, COURAGEOUS. I loved that movie. In the movie the men signed the resolution. This book was written based on that premise... but for women of course. This was NOT a light read. In books like this I like to highlight things... and boy did I highlight in 6 different colors. And, I signed 14 different resolutions, one for each chapter. It will be a struggle to keep them. I will not be able to do it without the Lord's help and much prayer. This is a book I will need and want to read again and again. My daughters plan to read it next though... if they can read around my colorful highlighting!! LOL I loved this book, it was challenging, Yes, but a good kind of challenge. Here is one quote from the book... this will show you the challenges ahead if you read this book.
"What do you sense heaven is calling you to do and be? What do you believe to be God's overarching purpose for creating you and then setting you down in this generation at this particular point in history? Do you know? Are you seeking to discover it as you wake up in the morning listening for the hush of heaven? The best way to begin is by being faithful to what He has set before you to do right now." pg. 73
See what I mean... not light reading. Some of the resolutions I felt I could sign right away. Others I struggled with and had to pray about before signing. One I am not sure I can live up to at all... but I am trusting God to help me change in this especially difficult area of my life.

That is 2 books for November. That makes 47of 52 books read for the year. As of tomorrow I will be 1 book behind and I only read 2 this month instead of the 4 I was supposed to read. This is TERRIBLE. I did horribly in Sept., worse in October and not so well in Nov. I have a lot of reading to get done and December is going to be busy. Oh well, I guess I will have to spend less time on Facebook and playing games on the computer and more time reading if I want to achieve my reading goal for 2012. I was hoping I could get to 75 books but I know that won't happen now. I will just be happy to get to my goal of 52 books.

Here are the previous updates if you are interested:
Reading Challenge ~ January Update
Reading Challenge ~ February Update
Reading Challenge ~ March Update
Reading Challenge ~ April Update
Reading Challenge ~ May Update
Reading Challenge ~ How I did in June
Reading Challenge ~ July's Book
Reading Challenge ~ August Amendment
Reading Challenge ~ September Reading
Reading Challenge ~ October Oops (no post, because no books read)



all content on my blog is ©

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails