Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Reading Challenge ~ July's Book

Reading Challenge 2012


My goal for reading this year was to read 52 books or more in 2012. That is one book a week. I am proud that I am doing so well. I am currently reading 10 books. One left over from school from last year, some for personal reading, some for devotions and now that we are homeschooling again I have books I am reading to Christopher. Some will be finished in a few days, some will be finished in a few weeks, some will not be finished until the end of the year. I really wanted to finish reading With Wolfe in Canada by G.A. Henty. I also want to just read more in August because I didn't even meet my goal of one book a week in July, though I am ahead of schedule overall, so that saved me from being behind now. That should not be a problem as school has started back up and so I am reading aloud to Christopher for History, Science, and Historical Fiction.
 I love reading!
You can explore so much of our past and present and gain so much knowledge and encouragement! Also, reading is and can be Fun!

Read A Book Today!

Each month for the Reading Challenge we are supposed to do an update and link up. This month I read....

Rare Earth
Bunn, Davis
368 pages

Date started reading - Jul 03, 2012
Date finished - Jul 19, 2012

This book was given to me so that I could review it on my blog. I enjoyed it immensely and as soon as I finished it I gave it to my daughter for her to read. You can read my full review here if you wish... Rare Earth - a review


The Price of Fame (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #14)
Aarsen, Carolyne
304 pages

Date started reading - Jul 20, 2012
Date finished - Jul 30, 2012

I just love these books. In this "episode" a movie company wants to make a movie in Acorn Hill. Should the town allow this. Is is a good thing or a bad thing for the town in the long run. Is Randall here for another reason? The Howard sisters strive to reach out to this young man. Did God bring him to their inn for a larger purpose, something personal in Randall's life that needs attention? What will fame bring the people and the town? Extra business? A chance to be in a movie? Or are there secrets no one is telling them that make this a bad idea? What will be "The Price of Fame" for Acorn Hill? Read the book and find out. 

Taking Liberty: The Story of Oney Judge, George Washington's Runaway Slave Taking Liberty: The Story of Oney Judge, George Washington's Runaway Slave
Rinaldi, Ann
didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing (my current rating)
Date started reading - Jul 23, 2012 
Date finished - Jul 31, 2012

This book is excellent. I read it aloud to my son Christopher for school. It gives you a good overview of George Washington and Mt. Vernon as well as the trials of slavery and the problem Washington had with wanting to free them yet having to please both the North and the South to keep the newly founded country together. It also gives you a view of what it was like to be a slave, even to a generous and kind family like the Washington's. This is definitely historical fiction as the characters are true living people and the events of the book really took place. The specific daily events are typical of things that would have happened and things that were taken from the diaries of General Washington. The dialogue and some of the characters were made up.

This book would be good for everyone with children grade 4th and up for read aloud, especially for homeschoolers. If reading on their own then probably a grade or 2 above that.


This series was recommended to my by the Holman family when they purchased the first book in the series for me as a gift when they visited us last summer.

That is 3 books for July. That is sad. Good thing I am already ahead of schedule. That makes 37/52 books for the year. I am 7 books ahead of schedule!

Here are the previous updates if you are interested:
Reading Challenge ~ January Update
Reading Challenge ~ February Update
Reading Challenge ~ March Update
Reading Challenge ~ April Update
Reading Challenge ~ May Update
Reading Challenge ~ How I did in June


all content on my blog is ©

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails