Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thankful... Day 26




Today I am thankful for our library. We have a wonderful library system. It used to be county wide now it is state wide. I can get books and videos from all over my state. 

Recently, my boys and I read The Printer's Apprentice by Stephen Krensky. We enjoyed the book very much. We even learned a few fun facts. On page 11-12 the books says:
"Gus got busy sorting some used type into the proper cases. Capital letters went into the upper case. The other letters went into the lower case."
Did you know that is how upper case and lower case letters were named? I sure didn't.
Here is another cool fact that we found from pages 35-36: 
"The weather affected Master Bradford as much as anyone. He became impatient at any delays. He was especially gruff when missing a sort - a letter in the particular type style he was using - while setting type. Being out of sorts often ruined his mood for hours."
Did you know that was were the saying "out of sorts" came from. 
You can learn a lot from books and I love my library. I borrow a lot of things from our library and a couple local libraries know us by name. If you have not been to your local library lately the go, check out some books.


all content on my blog is ©

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails