Thursday, February 11, 2010

Verification

One of the ladies that does the 365 project asked if those of us on Blogger could turn off our word verification. You know, where you have to type a word in to get your comment published. She said she had a lot of trouble getting things to verify and that sometimes she had to type 2 or 3 times to get her comment to go through. So I removed it. Over the course of the next week I got at least one spam comment every day. Some days more than one, and a couple of them were disgusting! I have commented on lots of friends blogs and done the word verification thing and it has never been a problem for me. So, I turned my word verification back on. I am sorry if it is a bother. You can read my posts and not comment. But, I will not take it off again. Even if I am loosing readers because of it. It is a shame we have to do these things but I do not want to have to read the filth that comes in the comments just so I know whether to post them or delete them. I have enough filth in my e-mail spam box. I hope you all understand, keep reading, and keep commenting.

Debbie

7 comments:

Annette W. said...

I often, OFTEN have to give the words an extra try or two on lots of blogs.

I was getting some spam, but I realized it was only for those posts that I had linked up elsewhere in blogging world on a linky, so I know it won't happen often (for me) so I turned it off. But I don't mind when others use it.

Katie said...

Good for you! Those spammers are icky...and unpredictable! Since this is your blog, you can do what you want with it! I think the people who want to leave a comment will anyway, because taking an extra 5 seconds to enter a word isn't a big deal to most.

Nichole "Nikki" Warren said...

Yeah I won't turn mine off either and I will keep the comments moderated so I can see them before they post. Even with the word thing I still get spam. If she's not hearing impaired she can click on the handy cap symbol (the person/wheelchair thing). It will say numbers with a bunch of other background noise, but if she can hear those numbers she just has to type in what it said. It repeats the numbers twice for you.

Nichole "Nikki" Warren said...

PS using the handicap audio is exactly how I posted the last post. I just listen to the audio and typed in the numbers.

Tracy said...

It is a major PAIN, but I don't want you getting spam either! AT LEAST you have the pop out window turned on...I personally think when they don't have it like this is MORE of a pain than word verification! :)

J said...

Debbie, I'm not taking my word verification off, either.

I did change mine when I signed on for the 365 to the pop up window, because I think it is less time consuming than the format where you comment, hit submit, then have to wait for the word to appear.

I do understand that some might not want to comment on my blog because of that, and that's fine.

I'm sorry you spent a week being sent filth. No fun at all.

Mrs. White said...

Debbie, that is exactly why I have the word verification activated on my blog.

Good job!

Blessings,
Mrs. White

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails