Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge Vol 71


1. The first day of spring is here...do you enjoy working in the yard? Weeding, raking, mowing, planting-your favorite springtime garden chore? How about your least favorite?  We have very few plants in our garden. It is not a priority for us right now. Whatever comes up comes up. I did go out and clip some dead flowers off one of my plants on Tuesday. It should have been done last year but I was lazy and kept thinking they would just fall off. I finally looked up the care of the plant, a hydrangea, on the internet and it said to take the blooms off as soon as they die. The buds form for the next year during the later summer after the blooms for that year are done. So that is why I don't get many flowers... now I know better for this year. Besides that we have one rose bush, a few hyacinths, and a bunch of tulips. Oh, also some Black-Eyed Susan's that try and take over everything. I would love to have as nice a flower garden out front as my neighbor does, but we never have money for flowers.


I don't know if we will do a vegetable garden or not. I would like to but we really need to make some raised beds and we don't have the money for that for sure. We will probably not do a vegetable garden, maybe a tomato plant or 2 and a pepper plant and maybe not even that. My daughter Rachel is the one who usually does the garden, sometimes with the help of one of her brothers.

2. What puts a spring in your step? Special time away with my husband, getting out for ladies Bible study, spending time with my friend Michele, walks at Longwood Gardens and Winterthur, and going to Ladies Spring Retreat with my church.

3. Describe a time when you had to spring into action? The day I started hemorrhaging when I was carrying my dd Jessica. I was 3  weeks from my delivery date. We were at church. I got to my husband and he sped to the hospital. I said, "You are not and ambulance." He said, "I am today. Lay down and relax" He got us there in record time. I was waiting every minute for a cop to start chasing us. He was supposed to have gone on a business trip that weekend but he didn't have a peace about going and told his boss he couldn't go. If he had gone I surely would have stayed home that day from church and may have died, and Jessica also, because we lived way out in the boonies and it would have taken longer to call 911 and them to get me to the hospital. As it was they said we had only minutes and rushed us to surgery and did a C-section. She was perfect, though tiny... only 4 lbs. 11 oz. at birth and went home at 4 lbs. 8 oz. just a few days later. She was my only child to get a perfect 10 on the apgar score. We are blessed.

4. We're having carrots for dinner...would you prefer yours raw or cooked? For dinner I would prefer them cooked... unless we are having a salad then a small amount, fresh, shredded is good... I eat them both ways.

5. Do you take the shampoos and other sundries from your hotel room when its time to check out? Sometimes, we seldom go to hotels. I used to take them all the time, now not so much. We are more likely to bring our own than take theirs. We usually cram 6 of us in one room and the girls and I like to bring stuff to make sure we have enough.

6. What's the most enjoyable team or club you've belonged to and what was it that made it so? I would say that is a tie between the group of us that helped out and took advanced geology classes in high school (that was a great group of guys and I was the only girl, I was treated very special and the teacher was like a second dad to me since mine died at the end of my 9th grade school year), and TOS Review Crew (the people made it special, the friendships, the prayers for each other. Though I only met 3 of them in person they were/are better friends then some friends I have had in real life. I am still in contact with them all on the Internet. Maybe they wouldn't be as good of friends if we met in real life and spent more time together. I have a tendency to not keep real friends very well, maybe it is something about me, I have not been able to figure that out.)

7. Is cloning a sign of progress? No, it is a sign of man trying to be God, a sign of sin in our world, a sign of man being self centered and thinking of himself to highly and to much.

8. Insert your own random thought here. Today is my dd Rachel's Birthday.
Happy Birthday to my oldest dd. I love you with all my heart. God's Blessing on you this day and the whole year through. May you recognize the work of God in your life, in the coming year.


all content on my blog is ©

1 comment:

The Prudent Homemaker said...

You can raise the dirt without having the wooden borders; it is a very old way of planting.


Plant the garden even if you cannot raise the garden beds at all. The fresh food will be a blessing to you, especially right now.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails