Thursday, March 15, 2012

Read-Aloud Thursday ~ Daniel Boone and Captain Cook


Last week we read Daniel Boone: The Opening of the Wilderness. I did not get time to link up and write the review for last Thursday but got it done on Sunday. Click the link above to read my review of that book. It was a great book! One of my favorites so far this year.

We are now reading Captain Cook Explores the South Seas I have found this book very interesting. There were a lot of things about Captain Cook that I never knew. Most Landmark books are interesting. I would give this one 4 stars so far. We finished chapter 7 out of 9 chapters and so we should finish the book tomorrow. I would definitely say boys ages 9 or so and up would like this book. I had no idea that Cook started out as a farmer's son. He went through a lot to rise to his position as captain of a ship.

I didn't know he was married either. It would be really hard to be married and pregnant and then see you husband go off for a 3 year voyage. I can't imagine.

Captain Cook and his shipmates had a lot of hard times on that 3 year voyage but some of them made it home and they had discovered a lot of things... including The Great Barrier Reef and claiming Australia for England (it had been discovered but not thoroughly mapped, landed on, or claimed before).

I was also interested to see how many famous characters from this time period had spent time fighting in the French and Indian / 7 Years War. It is amazing how many important people had a hand in that war.

below are 2 other links to Amazon for this book.
Captain Cook Explores the South Seas
Captain Cook Explores the South Seas

Well, I don't want to tell you everything that happened or you won't want to read the book.

Click on the button at the top of the page to see what other books are being read by the participants of Read-Aloud Thursday.



all content on my blog is ©

1 comment:

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Hi Debbie! Thanks for linking up this week! Did you know the kinky is open each week until about 8:00 CST? Just a FYI. :-)

I've seen many of these Landmark books and have often wondered about them, do thank you for reviewing them. Would you think they're appropriate for a 7 year old girl who likes history and reads voraciously? Is there enough human interest in them to keep her involved in the story?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails