Well the year is more than over and I want to update how I am doing on my goals for the year... more for myself than for you... but I hope this encourages you to make goals no matter what time of year and to work on carrying them out.
I have also been working diligently on my summer to-do list and preparing for this coming school year and will update that next week as I only have one more week of summer break before school starts. I highlighted the updates in yellow. The original goals are not highlighted.
- Continue being consistent with my devotions. I joined a yahoo group Bible study.
- I Finished the Yahoo Group Bible Study and have kept up pretty well on my own. I have skipped days here and there but mostly have been consistent in my devotions. When I miss a day or two I don't beat myself up like I used to, which just kept me from my devotions all the more. I forgive myself and get back to it and read the Word of God and repent and worship my Lord.
Health and Fitness
doing terrible on the health and fitness areas. I am starting Monday to try and reach these goals. I have done nothing in this area except an occasional walk at Winterthur. I did start exercising last week but only did it one day. Need to work on this area.
- Exercise more, more often and consistently
- start by walking 10-15 minutes a day on the Elliptical Walker
- Eat better and loose weight
- start by drinking more water and making sure to eat more fruit throughout the day and veggies at lunch
I have not done well with this either. I have not read the homeschooling book or worked on my own writing projects. The year is not over and so I must refocus and work on this a little.
- Read some books on homeschooling and other educational topics
- start by reading Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling by Debra Bell (a TOS Homeschool Review book)
- Work on my own writing projects
- work a little each week on the History Unit study projects I was working on or the E-book on Homeschool Organizing I was writing.
Have not scrapbooked, but I have read for pleasure but not Kingdom's Dawn (see my summer to-do list). I have also blogged more consistently and enjoyed it more most weeks.
- Spend some time scrapbooking
- spend one afternoon at least every other week doing scrapbooking
- Read some books for pleasure
- Read Kingdom's Dawn by Chuck Black
- Continue blogging and remember it is supposed to be for fun and for the records for my family.
- write more consistently on my blog at least 3 posts a week
- Keep doing the Workboxes
- Kept up with workboxes... readying them next week for this coming year.
- Get the boys back on our daily "schedule" after our Christmas unit and Christmas break. Done.
- Be more consistent on recording daily in our school log. I have been doing better than last year but I need to be even more consistent. Now to be consistent with this coming years records.
- Daily writing in the school log before I forget the details. Done.
- Be consistent with reviewing the boys daily assigned work and making sure they complete everything assigned to them and then put the stuff away in the folders/notebooks where it belongs. Done. Now to keep up with them this coming year. A good reminder of the responsibility I have to be the best homeschool mom I can be.
- We are starting this goal by putting away the stuff leftover from before Christmas so we can start fresh on Monday. Done.
- Complete the TOS Homeschool Crew Review Year.
- first write the review items for January: Worship Guitar due tomorrow. Done. Now starting the second year.
- Healthier Eating
- more fruits and vegetables. Needs work.
- Exercise at home on both our Bowflex (for muscle strengthening) and our Elliptical Walker and then also outside at Winterthur Estate and Gardens Needs work.
- Make exercise a priority for the boys Needs work.
- More singing as a family
- work on new song for special music on the 31st of January Done. Also sang in April. Now working on a song for special music for August.
- Regular Personal Devotions for each family member and regular Family Devotions in the evening.
- encourage the boys to do their devotions before school each day Needs work.
- Family evening read-aloud time more consistently. Needs work. We started reading Terrestria Chronicles book 1... need to get back to reading it more regularly.
- pick a book to read next
- Get back to evening read aloud time with the boys - I have not been doing that, so we are still on Little House in the Big Woods. Needs work. Need to get back to reading to the boys for pleasure at night... we all enjoy it. Either finish this book or choose another.
- read at least two nights this week
- Get back to meal planning because meals are more varied and we will have the ingredients shopped for ahead of time.
- get the meals planned by Friday for the next two weeks so we can shop for the groceries on the weekend. Needs work.
- Spend more time with my dear husband
- date night at home this Friday Need to spend more time regularly together.
- Spend time once a week with one of my kids, just mom and one of the kids having lunch in my bedroom alone and then doing whatever the child wants to do. Usually a combo of eating, talking and playing board games and/or computer games.
- Find out who's turn is next and plan the day to do their day with me. Put it on the calendar so I can keep track of who is next for their turn. Have not been doing this either.
I will keep this list and update the secondary bullet points periodically to put new short term goals in place
Boy do I have a lot that still needs work... makes me wonder what I have been doing for the past 6 months. Now back to planning our history and science. I am presently trying to plan the chapters of The World of Captain John Smith into our History unit. Then I have to plan when to do the new lapbooks that I bought for Science and History.