Sunday, June 16, 2013

May Memo ~ my reading and how I felt about it

I am VERY late getting this posted. So, my reviews of some of the books, that I read oh so long ago (lol) will not be as thorough as I would like. I have got to work on reviewing the books sooner after I finish them and just keep the draft until it is time to post it. I also need to flag important parts of the book when I am reading so I can find things later.


The Betrayal (Abram's Daughters, #2) by Beverly Lewis
400 pp
My rating: liked it didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it
Started Reading - May 07, 2013 
Finished Reading - May 19, 2013 

Betrayal, such a hard thing to live with. This series can be a hard one to read... but I must find out what happens to these girls. I do like this series though I was mad at the author for writing it this way. But, life is hard sometimes. It is more realistic to have the characters go through such hard times, than for everything to always work out just the way you want it to.


Mother's Faith: Essays, Lamentations, and Encouragement from a Christian Mother of Waywards by Sharon White 
97 pp
My rating: liked it didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it
Started Reading - May 1, 2013 
Finished Reading - May 23, 2013 

I did a full review of this book here -   
Mother's Faith, a review


The Sacrifice (Abram's Daughters, #3) by Beverly Lewis
464 pp
My rating: liked it didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it

Started Reading - May 19, 2013 
Finished Reading - May 24, 2013 

Sacrifice. Yes, life and family takes sacrifice. I like this series. I must finish this series. But, I can't say I have enjoyed all the parts of the series. Some of this is hard. It's like real life, as I said. Leah gives up so much for others. What a testimony her faithfulness is.




The Prodigal (Abram's Daughters, #4) by Beverly Lewis464pgs
My rating: liked it didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it

Started Reading - May 24, 2013 
Finished Reading - May 31, 2013 


Some things in this series have really made me think. I don't know about others but I have lived within driving distance of an Amish community all my life. I always considered them a very spiritual people. Yet, I never connected their hex signs, which you see all over, with superstition, chants, and even witchcraft. I had never heard of a Hex Dr. In this book the author shows the choice all people must make, between Christ's ways and Satan's ways. Some Amish find Christ and turn Mennonite, some find Christ and stay Amish but read their Bible more than most Amish do and some Amish live and follow the rules of the community but never really find Christ.

I flagged a couple things in this book that really spoke to me... Here are a couple quotes to show how Christian fiction can really touch your heart... at least these books touched mine.

""...it is not the easy or contented life that makes folk hunger hard after the Lord Jesus." pg. 405
 "Through the simple act of faithful living, Leah had learned the most important thing -- not to cling to or chase after happiness. What she yearned for now was the heaven-sent joy that carried her through, even in the midst of suffereing.
 Jesus is the joy  of my life, she thought anew.
She had come to know and live this truth from reading Mamma's Bible...
Dropping to her knees beside the small kitchen table, she thanked the heavenly Father for not only her many blessings, but for all of life's difficulties that had led her to this amazing moment.... She would do as the Scriptures instructed and wholly trust the Lord." pg 426
(note: I was reading a large print edition that I got from the library for only $1.)

By the end of the book things start to seem like they may be looking up for Leah, and for Jonas, but there are more struggles ahead as well. I am currently reading the last book in the series so we will see how things end up.


According to Goodreads I have read 21 books toward my goal of 55 books. At my current pace, I'm 4 books behind schedule. BUT that is my current status and I have already read 4 books in June so at the end of May I was farther behind than this. I am working hard to catch up. We have been on 'summer' break for 5 weeks already. Only 5 more weeks to go, or 6 if I am not ready in 5.

note: my star reviews are out of a possible 5 stars

See my Goodreads book lists


I will be commenting at life, laughter and little things when she posts there, click the button for more information.







all content on my blog is ©

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails