Thursday, March 21, 2013

Think Back Thursday ~ Field Trip/Vacation


The purpose of Think Back Thursday is to link up a photo post about something from the past. You can reach back all the way to your childhood and bravely post pictures of you in your wild clothes and hair styles or post something from last year and tell us about it. I'm not picky. Hey, even yesterday was the past... LOL My posts will mostly be about events that happened prior to blogging, as a way to share those things with the world.

Today's Theme
Field Trip/Vacation

One of the things I like about homeschooling is that most of our vacations have been field trips for school as well. We have never had money to travel very far. Many years our vacation was just day trips in our area, within a couple hours of our house. The few week long vacations we have had the money to take were also within driving distance, less than 6 hours away, and were field trips to historical places like Williamsburg and Gettysburg. 

But most of our field trips were at local events or businesses and were set up as field trips. Some were when we were part of a co-op. The purpose of the co-op was for one field trip and one play date a month. Friendships grew in this early co-op, between the kids and between the mom's especially. It was such a relief to get the kids together once a month to just play at a gym (when it was cold) or at a park and have time for the mom's to sit and talk or roam around and talk while watching our little ones play together. It was very needful contact with other homeschooling mom's and kept me sane. It was great to have time to compare notes and share during those early days of uncertainty.

Today I am going to share a field trip that we participated in many times. Storybook Garden Party was an annual event held at a local museum, Hagley. These photos are from April 28, 1996. Rachel was 10yo, Jessica 7yo, and Nathan  almost 2yo. It is something my young kids enjoyed many times. Unfortunately they stopped having this party. Each year there was different activities and themes.

Wow! It is amazing to me how terrible some of these photos are, Comparing them to photos from my digital camera is so different. Oh well, I did the best I could with the camera we had at the time... way back in the 'dark ages'... LOL

There were science demonstrations.


 The kids always love stuff that bubbles and foams.



 They got to meet "Miss Frizzle" of the Magic School Bus books and movies.
My kids love Magic School Bus.
 Rachel in pink, Jessica in Blue.

 Here is Rachel using a Van de Graaff Generator to make her hair stand on end.


There were a variety of interactive science displays and experiments.
 

 An obstacle course to climb through.


Rachel always was a big helper with our little ones, here she is helping Nathan through the tubes.


 Music programs.


Even an opportunity to try to play an instrument after one of the performances.




A visit with the Easter Bunny.


 Dress up clothes




 


 and some fishing.




There were lots of fun activities for the kids and this was a day we all enjoyed... out in the sunshine and warm spring weather.... at least this year it was sunny and warm. It is a shame they do not do this anymore. Many kids are missing out on a lot of fun, exploration, and learning.

Now it's your turn, share a favorite field trip or vacation on your blog ... and link up below.
http://zaazu.com

Next Week
March 28 - Easter

Here are the Rules for participating:
  • It can be about you, about your kids, about your parents, whomever. You can include video, I will not exclude video alone posts, but I prefer them along with photos, as this is a photo meme. I am doing a weekly theme now. That should help narrow it down from the myriad of photos we all have. For ideas check out the other posts in my label Think Back Thursday. 
  • Link up below. Please use a permalink that sends readers directly to the correct post. If you are not sure what that is click the word permalink for an explanation. 
  • Mention my blog and offer a link back. This is a requirement to take part and a kind gesture to me your hostess as well as your readers--they will know where to join in the fun, too. You can put the Think Back Thursday button on your site and in your post. You will find it on my right sidebar. Please use it to link to my site, to spread the word about my meme. Using the button will help others know how to find me and how to join. Tell others to click on the button in your post to find us here.
  • Leave me a comment. First so that you can let me know what you think of my pictures and secondly so that I will know a new post has been linked up and I can come visit your blog and comment on your photos. 
Join me!



all content on my blog is ©

1 comment:

Kym said...

Looks like so much fun! We would have loved to meet Ms Frizzle - my kids loved the Magic Schoolbus shows and books. :-)

Sorry I'm late linking up!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails