Monday, January 2, 2012

In Christ Alone - My song for 2012

I am going to be honest today. I am afraid. I am afraid that we will loose our home. My husband has been on unemployment for 21 months. Yesterday was the last day he could send in his searches and be certain to get money from unemployment. We don't know if his benefits will be extended.... and I am afraid. I have had nightmares of me pushing a grocery cart with all our worldly goods in it and my ragged children following behind me... we were homeless and sleeping on the streets. I try and trust God and most moments I do, but I have times when I am afraid and my faith fails. I listen to Godly music and read my Bible and strive to have Hope... not fading hope like... I hope Court gets a job... but Hope that is anchored to my Savior, who I know loves me.


Today for my devotions I was reading in James ch. 1:9-11. I was struggling with things. I turned to Bible Gateway and read this commentary... http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/IVP-NT/Jas/Trials-574  I especially was struck by the part about 2/3rds of the way down... where it starts, "James's second illustration introduces another major theme to be developed later in the epistle: one's relationship with material wealth."

This quote especially hit me...
"To understand this, it is valuable first to consider how, even today, money is the context for some of our most common and spiritually significant trials. Because of money we are beset with fears--troubling anxieties about how financial needs will be met. Because of money we are attacked with a sense of guilt and failure. We struggle to make ends meet, and we feel internal accusations about inability to manage finances and about mistakes we must have made in financial choices. Because of money we fall into crippling self-pity, chronic complaining and envy of others who can buy and do things which we lack. These can produce a terrible bitterness of spirit that makes a desert of our personal fellowship with God."
 That is me right now.... I have to reconcile myself to this fact. We may loose our house. My husband may not get any more money from unemployment. But...
"When a Christian's spouse is unfaithful and abandons the marriage, is Christ still worth obeying? When a Christian's financial security is threatened or wrecked, is Christ still worth trusting? When a Christian's physical health is crippled, is Christ still worth adoring? When a Christian's family member is killed, is Christ still worth serving? When a Christian's actions are misunderstood or slandered, is Christ still worth devotion? Even if the Christian loses everything else, is Christ still worth honoring, and is the crown of life still worth the perseverance in faith? The answer is decisively yes!"
Thus my song choice for 2012
...From life's first cry to final breath.
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand.



Lyrics:
In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song;
this Cornerstone, this solid Ground,
firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
when fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my All in All,
here in the love of Christ I stand.

In Christ alone! who took on flesh
Fulness of God in helpless babe!
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones he came to save:
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied -
For every sin on Him was laid;
Here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain:
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave he rose again!
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine -
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me;
From life's first cry to final breath.
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand.
Link to 'In Christ Alone'



all content on my blog is ©

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Love that song! Yeah, I had it on repeat last year along with "All is Well" by: Robin Mark. I'm sorry you've been having such a hard time. I'll be praying for you! I hope this next year turns out to be amazingly wonderful!

Love ya' Mom! <3
Jessica

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails