Saturday, April 7, 2018

Earth Day, April 22, 2018


Earth Day is coming up on April 22. The theme for this year is End Plastic Pollution. You can check out things going on for Earth day and get some resources at https://www.earthday.org/

We are going to be doing a program at the library on Earth Day, April 22. I will be reading a story to the children, "The Adventures of a Plastic Bottle." I thought this would be appropriate for the theme this year. I can't wait to read it to the children.





Water Bottle Wind Spirals
This is a fun craft using reusing water bottles. I will cut off the bottoms of the bottles for the kids before the program and they will be used for the project below. The kids will color the water bottles with permanent markers and cut them with safety scissors. I already did a test one and the safety scissors will cut the bottles easily.  I still have to buy the permanent markers because we only have black and red at work.

Water Bottle Flowers Craft for Kids
I will have as many flowers available for the kids to make as I have spirals. How many flowers each child gets to make depends how many kids I get at my program. I cannot afford special paint, so I will be having the kids color the bottles with the permanent makers like in the project above. I also decided to use craft sticks that the kids can color with our washable markers instead of the straws, since we already have them. We will attach the sticks to the back of the flowers with low temp hot glue. The kids will have help with this part if they are young.





This Earth day craft is a very fun and simple way to teach kids about our planet using paper plates.
I am also doing this Paper Plate Earth Day Craft for Kids, for those who don't want to get permanent marker on their hands and for younger patrons.

I will be modifying this for our kids. I will use blue construction paper glued to a paper plate. Glue sticks, not paint with lots of kids expected at the library, will be much less messy. Then pieces of green tissue paper for the land then face, arms and legs as seen here.

Or you can try this one... https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/FREE-Earth-Day-Craft-Earth-Man-667248


I am not doing this one... Soda Bottle Zippered Pencil Case... but it does look fun and maybe some of my readers would like to try it. The sample looks like it is a 2 liter bottle but you could do any plastic bottle. Each would hold different kinds of "goodies." Maybe we will try it another time. The staff uses a lot of water (and other plastic) bottles and we can set up a box in the staff break room and collect some in a short time.

This resource looks interesting. I may put it on a loop on a TV in the STEM room where I will be doing my program.
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/FREE-Earth-Day-Bottled-Water-Use-PowerPoint-Activity-228101

I may also put out one or more of these games...

I always have handouts, bookmarks, coloring pages for the children to take home as well.
Try these...
I have been using Teachers Pay Teachers a lot lately. You can search for a topic and you can limit the search to only Free items. They have a lot of good stuff. All of these resources are FREE.

I hope you enjoy my first post of my blog reboot.
I will be updating links, and many things on my sidebar, as well as my header and link buttons.

 Debbie Phillips
 all content on my blog is ©

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails